Friday, January 13, 2012

Protection

I liked the title Fuwafuwa(Fluffy) Marshmallow for this blog, but the content and tone of the posts I have made until now does not fit such a cute image (I always imagined a fluffy cloud-shaped marshmallow with a :D face on it, TOTES ADORBS) so I decided to scrap it for a much simpler title: Long Story Short. It is a feeling I often have when talking to friends or making blog posts; I drag out a story for the sake of entertaining my friends (in which I succeed...sometimes) but there are times I forget where I'm going, so I'm reduced to the idiom to help me focus on my point. Because really, I'm just ranting in these posts.

Nothing exciting has happened since my last update. Tomorrow, however, I'm going to the Japanese Embassy in Atlanta to see if there are any positions in their internship available. I'd rather show up in person than place a phone call. Plus if they aren't taking applications I could always stop by Hashiguchi Jr. for lunch, a Japanese restaurant close by. Well I was going to do that anyways.

I'll have my omamori with me when I go to the embassy tomorrow. I guess in English this it is called a lucky charm? But to me it is more of a talisman. Here is a picture (the blog's first! eep!)




To give you a good idea how big it is, it's about the size of a credit card or driver's license. Other omamori may come in smaller and bigger sizes, and even different shapes (some are made out of wood too). My friend brought me this one from Ohmiya Hachimanguu (大宮八幡宮) shrine in Japan.

The word "omamori"(o-mah-mo-ry) literally means a thing that protects. It gives you auspicious (lucky) mojo. And in Japan, China, and other Asian cultures there are omamori for everything. Some omamori serve very specific purposes, like protecting you on the road, passing a job interview, financial order, etc. The main reason why I believe omamori are not equivalent to "lucky charms" in American culture and are more like talismans is because omamori are consecrated (thanks years of Catholicism for teaching me that term!) with whatever spirit, diety, or sacred place (in this case the shrine itself, dedicated to a war god) where they come from. If I'm not mistaken, that doesn't happen in Catholic or other Christian churches in the US. I guess having a cross or rosary on hand could have the same effect, but from my memories of when I attended church I don't remember them being sold there. Even if those are being sold at churches or church events they feel more like merchandise; they don't undergo a process of consecration, where the item is turned into something holy. I think Christians prefer the act of praying and thinking about God's importance as their way of assuring his "guidance" anyways.


Unexpected lesson about Japan, Japanese, and comparative religious studies FTW! Feels good to drop some hard earned knowledge on my friendly readers.

Speaking of winning, this particular omamori boosts my mojo for....Winning! Yes, the first two characters (starting from the top characters located in the center) say Kachi-un, which literally means "Win-luck". The second two characters basically mean protective charm or talisman. This is the omamori I'll bring with me tomorrow. Look at the picture again. Is that not badass? With this I can't lose, even if I don't win 8D


What's your lucky charm? ;)

1 comment:

  1. Wa, this 'talisman' is beautiful
    And thanks for explaining everything, it was interesting really ! ^^

    ReplyDelete