Thursday, November 10, 2011

First post

I opened up this account in 2007 without a clue as to what I would write.  When I was chosen to study abroad in Japan at Osaka University in 2008 I thought I would turn this blog into my year there, but I took pictures instead (about 8000 over a 10 month period, wow) and never posted them.  In February of this year I started a Japanese blog on Ameblo and have been updating every week since this summer.  My Japanese blog is about my daily life around Atlanta.  Most entries are very short but include pretty pictures.  Please check it out at ameblo.jp/marenicolor

Writing a blog in a foreign language is interesting because sometimes I find myself wanting to say much more but I am limited, so I stick to easy topics, such as my daily life. I tend not to include my opinion other than "It's delicious," "I like it," "This color suits me." When I am writing in Japanese I prefer to talk about the way things are.  However, I do have opinions, beliefs, etc.  I have interests other than Japanese (I know, I don't believe it either) that I would like to share.  I would also like to use this blog as an exercise to improve my writing. Some posts may be in Spanish because even though I speak the language fluently I realise I do not write nearly enough. Spelling and reading comprehension are no problem, but I probably could not write a college level research paper in Spanish if I was asked to do so.

Anyways, this blog will be lots of things.  Personal, opinionated, random, sweet, toned-down, snarky, useless and most of all, unintelligent.  A reflection of myself.  I apologize if opinions expressed on this blog offends any readers. This apology will only be made once.


Right now I'm listening to Perfume's latest single, Spice. It is a double A-side with Glitter. Glitter is catchier but Spice is more mature. The PV for Glitter is classic, just the three members (A-chan, Nocchi, Kashiyuka) dancing. Reminds me of Computer City, one of my favorite songs of theirs. Spice's PV is different. I like it but I will not watch it as much as say, Dream Fighter or Fushizen na Girl.

Random first blog writing experiment

Favorite color is midnight blue. I have a Westie named Whiskey. I have $3.15 in my bank account but $262 in cash (I am a waitress).  I currently have no headache. My room has IKEA furniture in it. I own an Android phone.  And an iPod touch(4th gen), but I would like to sell that.  It has been put off for years but I must get my wisdom teeth taken care of.  I enjoy drinking high gravity beers and my favorite wines are Malbecs.  Perhaps I just never noticed before but this year's fall leaves are beautiful.  I cry a lot.  Pho is my comfort food.  I try to write lyrics in Japanese but I suck.  People buy too much shit for the sake of buying.  Lately I feel I am either too much for some people or not enough for others.  Sex is unnecessary and lately I have found it repulsive.  How do you start off a sentence without saying "I"?  Is double spacing really necessary?

Hm.


Tonight there will be a nabe (hot pot) party with friends who work at a local Japanese company.  One of them is moving back to Japan and is my friend's best friend.  It makes me sad to know I may never see this person again.  I have a feeling, however, that I will.


Please treat me favorably,
and have a good day,

Mar

1 comment: